The Powerball jackpot has climbed to an estimated $1.2 billion, making it the third-largest jackpot in the game’s history. The next drawing will be held on Wednesday, October 4, 2023, at 10:59 PM ET.
The odds of winning the Powerball jackpot are slim, at 1 in 292,201,338. However, there are still plenty of ways to win prizes in the game, including matching just a few numbers. In the last drawing, there were seven tickets that matched all five white balls, winning $1 million each.
If you’re planning to play the Powerball jackpot, there are a few things you can keep in mind to increase your chances of winning:
- Play more tickets. The more tickets you buy, the better your chances of winning. However, it’s important to remember that the odds are still very slim, so don’t spend more money than you can afford to lose.
- Form a lottery pool with friends or family. This is a great way to buy more tickets without spending too much money. Just be sure to have a clear agreement about how any winnings will be divided.
- Choose your numbers carefully. Avoid picking all even or all odd numbers, as well as sequential numbers. Instead, try to choose a mix of even and odd numbers, and numbers that are spread out across the number board.
- Use a random number generator. If you’re not sure what numbers to pick, you can use a random number generator to generate some numbers for you.
If you’re lucky enough to win the Powerball jackpot, be sure to take your time and make a plan for your winnings. You may want to consult with a financial advisor to help you make the most of your new wealth.
Here are some additional tips from the experts:
- Sign the back of your ticket as soon as you buy it. This will help to protect your claim if you win.
- Store your ticket in a safe place. Don’t carry it around with you or leave it in a car.
- Check your numbers carefully after the drawing. If you think you may have won, double-check your numbers and contact the lottery immediately.
- Take your time when claiming your prize. You don’t have to claim your prize right away. You have up to one year to claim your prize, depending on the state where you purchased your ticket.