The San Francisco 49ers suffered an ugly 31-17 loss to the Cleveland Browns on Sunday, October 15, 2023. The 49ers were outplayed in all three phases of the game, and the loss was a major setback for their playoff hopes.
Here are some observations from the game:
- The 49ers’ offense was stagnant. San Francisco only managed 306 total yards and 17 points. Quarterback Trey Lance had a rough day, completing just 18 of 30 passes for 229 yards and one touchdown. He also threw two interceptions.
- The 49ers’ running game was ineffective. San Francisco rushed for just 77 yards on 20 carries. Running back Christian McCaffrey had a disappointing game, rushing for just 39 yards on 10 carries.
- The 49ers’ defense was unable to stop the Browns’ running game. Cleveland rushed for 198 yards on 35 carries. Running back Nick Chubb had a big day, rushing for 113 yards and two touchdowns.
- The 49ers turned the ball over too many times. San Francisco turned the ball over three times, including two interceptions by Lance. The Browns turned the ball over once, but it was a costly turnover, as it led to a 49ers touchdown.
- The 49ers need to find a way to get their offense going. San Francisco has struggled to score points all season, and they need to find a way to fix that if they want to be a contender.
- The 49ers need to establish their running game. The 49ers have a talented running back in McCaffrey, but they have not been able to get him going this season. They need to find a way to get him more involved in the offense.
- The 49ers’ defense needs to improve. The 49ers’ defense has been good at times this season, but they have also been inconsistent. They need to find a way to play more consistently if they want to be a contender.