Ho-ho-hold onto your Santa hats, folks! It’s that time of year again when the streets of New York City become flooded with a sea of jolly red suits and boisterous laughter. Yes, SantaCon is back, bigger and louder than ever.
But before you jump on the reindeer-powered sleigh of revelry, here’s everything you need to know to navigate SantaCon 2023 like a seasoned pro:
Festive Bar Crawl Route:
This year’s SantaCon route is a bit of a mystery. Traditionally, the crawl starts in Midtown Manhattan and winds its way down through the East Village, stopping at dozens of bars along the way. However, the official organizers haven’t released a specific route yet.
But fret not, fellow Santas! You can expect to find the festive masses congregating around popular party spots like:
- Midtown: Times Square, Bryant Park, Third Avenue
- East Village: St. Mark’s Place, Tompkins Square Park, Avenue A
MTA Takes a Stand on Holiday Cheer:
In an attempt to curb public intoxication and maintain order, the MTA is taking a firm stance against imbibing on the go. That’s right, folks, alcohol is banned on all Metro-North and Long Island Rail Road trains for 32 hours, starting at 4 a.m. Saturday and lasting until noon Sunday.
This means no pre-gaming on the train, and be sure to finish your beverages before boarding. Don’t worry, there’ll be plenty of opportunities to indulge once you reach your bar destination!
NJ Transit Bans All Beverages:
If you’re thinking of escaping the MTA ban by hopping over to NJ Transit, think again. They’re taking things one step further and banning all beverages on their buses, trains, and light rail for the entire day of SantaCon, as well as the following Saturday for the Hoboken SantaCon event.
So, plan your transportation accordingly and be prepared to pack light and leave the drinks at home.
What Else to Expect:
- Crowds: Expect massive crowds, especially in popular bar areas. Be prepared for long wait times and potential overcrowding.
- Police Presence: The NYPD will be out in full force, so be on your best behavior and avoid any public disturbances.
- Weather: December weather can be unpredictable, so dress warmly and be prepared for rain or snow.
- Fun and Festivities: Despite the restrictions, SantaCon is all about celebrating the holidays and having a good time. So, don your best Santa suit, grab your friends, and get ready to spread some holiday cheer!
Tips for a Jolly Good Time:
- Plan your route in advance: If you want to hit specific bars, map out your route beforehand to avoid getting lost in the crowds.
- Pace yourself: Don’t forget to eat and hydrate throughout the day to avoid getting too intoxicated.
- Be responsible: Dispose of your trash properly and respect the local businesses and residents.
- Most importantly, have fun! SantaCon is a unique and festive experience, so embrace the spirit of the season and enjoy the good vibes!