The Powerball jackpot has swelled to an estimated $835 million ahead of the next drawing on Wednesday night, making it the fourth-largest jackpot in the game’s history. The cash value of the jackpot is an estimated $390.4 million.
No ticket matched all six numbers in Monday night’s drawing, so the jackpot continues to grow. The last time someone won the Powerball jackpot was on July 19, when a player in California won $1.08 billion.
The Powerball jackpot has been growing for more than a month. The last time the jackpot was below $200 million was on August 17. Since then, the jackpot has grown by more than $600 million.
The odds of winning the Powerball jackpot are 1 in 292.2 million. However, even if you don’t win the jackpot, there are still nine other ways to win prizes in Powerball.
To play Powerball, you must choose five numbers between 1 and 69, and one red Powerball number between 1 and 26. Tickets cost $2 each. Drawings are held every Wednesday and Saturday night at 10:59 p.m. Eastern Time.
Powerball is played in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Tips for Playing Powerball
If you’re thinking about playing Powerball, here are a few tips:
- Choose your numbers carefully. Avoid picking all even numbers or all odd numbers. And don’t pick consecutive numbers.
- Consider joining a lottery pool. This can increase your chances of winning without spending a lot of money.
- Set a budget and stick to it. It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of playing the lottery, but it’s important to remember that it’s gambling.
- Don’t buy tickets on credit. Only gamble with money that you can afford to lose.
What to Do if You Win the Powerball Jackpot
If you’re lucky enough to win the Powerball jackpot, here are a few things you should do:
- Sign the back of your ticket immediately. This will prove that you are the rightful owner of the ticket.
- Contact your state lottery office to make arrangements to claim your prize.
- Consider hiring a financial advisor to help you manage your winnings.
- Take your time before making any major decisions about how to spend your money.
Winning the Powerball jackpot can be a life-changing event. By following these tips, you can increase your chances of winning and make the most of your winnings if you do win.